Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Going Out With a Breastfeeding Baby

How To Confidently Nurse Your Baby In Public
If you're like me, sticking around the house is pretty nice when your baby is a newborn. You can sleep in, watch a little TV, eat when you're hungry (just like your baby!) and wear whatever you want. For awhile, you can stay in your "own little world" and just enjoy your new baby.
Then, reality sets in. . . . you have some errands to run or your older kids have a soccer game you really want to see (for me, it was my 6th grade daughter who had a volleyball game when Ella was only five days old!).
Or, a party you go to with your family every year is coming up and you don't want to miss it.
Whatever the reason, it's time to head out with new baby and resume your normal activities.
For some moms, the first times out can be scary, but for me they were adventurous. Why? Well, first of all, it felt absolutely wonderful to be out in public, again, without all of my big clothes and extra weight.
Also, going out with Ella was a nice break in my everyday routine.
So, how can you conceal the fact you are breastfeeding?
For starters, you can use a baby sling, which can help hide the fact you are breastfeeding. I love my sling (Ella does too) and hardly go anywhere without it. A sling is quick & easy to use and quite comfortable. I also use it many times when I know it will be a hassle to push the stroller around a tight area.
Another way to nurse discreetly is to drape your shoulder & baby's head with a light blanket or nursing cover. Many moms find it gives them some private space to get their babies started at the breast, then remove the covering once baby is nursing.
Two things to consider if you use a light blanket: this may actually "tell" more people what you are doing and, as your baby grows older, he may be able to pull the blanket off. But if using a blanket or nursing cover makes you more comfortable nursing in public, then do it.
Whether you use a nursing sling or light blanket, your clothing should also be considered for discreet nursing. It's so much easier breastfeeding in public with good nursing clothing. I own several nursing tops, and two nursing dresses, which have concealed slits to allow Ella easy access. You can also simply dress in a few layers to give you some coverage. An unbuttoned blouse worn on top of a plain T-shirt is one of my favorite combos.
In the beginning, I found that using a sling and wearing the appropriate clothes seemed to give me the confidence I needed to go out with my breastfeeding baby.
However, no matter what you wear, you'll find it's not that big of deal to nurse your baby in public, especially once you become more experienced at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment