Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tips on Breastfeeding

When I learned that I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to breastfeed my baby and I am very blessed that I did, can and still am! My daughter is almost two years old, she is thriving and yes, I'm still breastfeeding!
I have compiled some tips on breastfeeding that I have learned along 'our breastfeeding relationship'. I say, 'our' breastfeeding relationship because it is a relationship between you and your baby...BOTH parties need to be comfortable with the situation!
Luckily, being only two hours old and in the NICU, my daughter latched right on and we haven't looked back since. I really didn't know what I was doing, initially, but WE figured it out!
In my opinion, breastfeeding is the single best thing you can do for your baby. I am not a LC, Lactation Consultant or an RN, Registered Nurse, but I am a successful breastfeeding mom and proud of it!
In fact, the WHO, World Health Organization recommends you exclusively breastfeed your baby up to 6 months old, then compliment with solid food after that for at least two years of age.
The benefits of breastfeeding your baby will also last a lifetime!
Listed below are "some' of the tips that I have encountered during our breastfeeding journey:
1. The Latch! This, I believe, is one of the most important skills to master to become successful with breastfeeding and reduce the stress. If you have a 'good' latch, your baby will receive the right amount of milk and your body will continue to produce milk on an as needed basis. If you do not have a 'good' latch, your baby may not be getting quite enough milk, you may have pain, your baby may get frustrated as well as yourself and your body may not produce enough milk to fulfill your baby's needs.
** An empty breast will produce more milk than a breast that has not been emptied! **
2. Position. Good position for yourself and your baby will also account for your reduced stress level. Both of you need to be comfortable or you may find yourself in an uncomfortable position trying to get your baby to latch on...thus, creating a stressful situation.
3. Decrease stimulus. Your baby may be too distracted by touch, noise or movement. You need to tune in to what works for you and your baby. Some babies don't like the back of their head touched while breastfeeding, some don't like a lot of background noise and some may want to be still while breastfeeding. Finding out what works for you and your baby will help reduce the stress level.
There are 'many' more tips on breastfeeding available to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment